What Makes Us Different?
Our collection includes but is not limited to:
- The PULLMAN COLLECTION of employee records
- Cemetery Master Index of 93 area cemeteries, containing over 62,500 names
- Chicago City Directories* 1871-1917, 1923, 1928-1929
- Oak Forest Hospital Cemetery records 1910-1971
- Blue Island Sun Obituaries Index 1919-1969
- Calumet City Naturalization records 1906-1954
- Calumet City Burial Permit records c. 1925-1941
- Acme Steel Newsletters 1926-32, 1935-50, 1954-61
- Hammond City Directories* 1943-1974
- 600+ family histories*
- Selected funeral homes’ records
- County Histories*
- Church histories and records*
- High School yearbooks*
- Regional telephone directories*
- Local area information files
- Microform and CD materials*
* see our online catalog
As of August 23, 2021, in light of the Cook County Mask Mandate, SSGHS Library asks that you follow these simple rules:
1. Do not come to the library if you are feeling ill.
2. A face mask is required for everyone, even if you are vaccinated.
3. We suggest that you call to schedule your visit to the library.
4. Hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes will be available in the library.
5. We encourage you to bring your own laptop.
6. For our monthly Saturday meetings, please wear a mask.
The SSGHS Library is a non-profit 501(c)3, non-circulating reference and research library that is open to the public. The Library contains more than 14,000 books and items for the United States as well as many other countries. We are a FamilySearch Affiliate Library. Our card catalog is online (see top of page).
Where The Trails Cross
Where The Trails Cross, The Journal of the South Suburban Genealogical and Historical Society, is published twice a year. We are catching up on our publications, and apologize for the delay.
Volume 50:1 (Fall & Winter 2019) and Volume 50:2 (Spring & Summer 2020)
These issues of the journal of SSGHS is now available to those who were members during the
2019-2020 member year, and to societies with whom we exchange journals. These issues are password-protected.
Volume 51:1 (Fall & Winter 2020) and Volume 51:2 (Spring and Summer 2021)
Volume 51:1 is now available to those who were members during the 2020-2021 membership year from Sept. 2020-Aug. 2021, and to societies with whom we exchange journals. This issue is password-protected.
Volume 51:2 is in progress.