Our Events Calendar lists society programs, classes, Special Interest Groups, and other activities.
Programs: We offer ten monthly programs a year. Our next program is in February 2024.
Gift certificates are available for holiday giving. See our Blog for details.
Our Library and Our Special Collections
Our SSGHS Library is a non-profit 501(c)3, non-circulating reference and research library that is open to the public. The Library contains more than 14,000 books and items for the United States as well as many other countries. Our card catalog is online (see top of page).
Our collections include but are not limited to:
- The PULLMAN COLLECTION of employee records
- Cemetery Master Index of 93 area cemeteries, containing over 62,500 names
- Chicago City Directories* 1871-1917, 1923, 1928-1929
- Oak Forest Hospital Cemetery records 1910-1971
- Blue Island Sun Obituaries Index 1919-1969
- Calumet City Naturalization records 1906-1954
- Calumet City Burial Permit records c. 1925-1941
- Records of several local funeral home
- Acme Steel Newsletters 1926-32, 1935-50, 1954-61
- Hammond City Directories* 1943-1974
- 600+ family histories*
- Selected funeral homes’ records
- County Histories and Atlases*
- Church histories and records*
- High School yearbooks*
- Regional telephone directories*
- Local area information files
- Microform and CD materials*
* see our online catalog
Library visitors may use these programs for free (in-library use only):
FamilySearch — SSGHS is a FamilySearch Affiliate Library, providing access to millions of records including additional digital records and images not available outside a FamilySearch Family History Center or an Affiliate Library. When you are inside the SSGHS Library using your own computer, you will be able to access the “locked” records at FamilySearch.org.
Ancestry Library Edition — When you are inside the SSGHS Library, you may access Ancestry Library Edition using your own computer. Ancestry Library Edition delivers census data, vital records, directories, photos, and more. Content is from North America, the United Kingdom, Europe, Australia, and more. This resource is provided through the generosity of one of our members.
Our helpful Library Volunteers are genealogists themselves, and are happy to assist you.
2023-2024 Membership Year
Our 2023-2024 Membership Year runs from September 2023 to August 2024. Click here to join, or to renew your current membership. (You may print, complete and mail a membership form along with your check, or you may join or renew online by using PayPal.)
Where The Trails Cross, The Journal of the South Suburban Genealogical & Historical Society, is published twice a year. Volume 53:2 (Spring/Summer 2023) is now available in the members-only area.