Our library currently houses more than 14,000 books, periodicals and microforms. In addition to those items, we have CDs, maps, directories and special collections manuscripts. While the emphasis of the library collection is on our prime area of interest, we have considerable materials on northwestern Indiana, downstate Illinois, and the rest of the United States as well as general how-to-do-it genealogical books. We are a FamilySearch Affiliate Library. See What’s Inside.
The Pullman Collection
The Pullman Collection is located immediately adjacent to the library. This contains 200,000 employee files covering 50 years of the operations of the Pullman Corporation.
Our monthly schedule of programs operates from February to November. There are no General meetings in December and January. During the year, our mix of programs of genealogical and historical subjects included programs on Research into African-American Genetic Genealogy; Internet Archive; Polish research; Korean War MIAs; and many others. Please see our Events for upcoming programs.
From time to time we offer genealogy classes; check out Classes page to find out more.
We currently offer a members-only Writer’s Special Interest Group (SIG). See our Events for upcoming meetings.
- Meetings, classes and workshops
- Research in Special Records, including the Pullman Car Works Personnel Records
- Speakers’ Bureau
- Pioneer Certificates – A very nice memorial gift to your children, grandchildren, or others to honor your ancestors
- WWII Harvey Letters – Do you have roots in Harvey, Illinois?
- Microfilming of church records
- Preservation of records from churches, towns, organizations, and funeral homes
- Recording of cemetery information
- SSGHS Facebook page
- Paid genealogical research
- Paid cemetery photo service
- Obituary and Cemetery Indexes
- Local census readings for SSGHS Journal, Where the Trails Cross
- Reading, recording and publishing tombstone data from area cemeteries
- Collecting local church and town records