Our (non-circulating) library currently houses more than 14,000 books, periodicals and microforms. In addition, we have CDs, maps, directories and special collections manuscripts. While the collection focus is on our area of interest, we have considerable materials on northwestern Indiana, downstate Illinois, and the rest of the United States as well as general how-to genealogical books. We are a FamilySearch Affiliate Library. Ancestry Library Edition is available for use in the library. See What’s Inside.
The Pullman Collection
The Pullman Collection contains 200,000 employee files covering 50 years of the operations of the Pullman Car Corporation at 111th & Cottage Grove in Chicago. While the collection itself is not open to researchers, we offer a free records lookup, and copies of files may be purchased at a nominal fee. Note: We do not hold records from other Pullman plants, or records of Pullman porters.
Our monthly schedule of programs operates from February to November, and feature a mix of genealogical and historical topics. There are no general meetings in December and January. Please see our Events for upcoming programs.
Genealogy classes are offered at intervals; check out Classes page to find out more.
We offer a members-only Writer’s Special Interest Group (SIG). See our Events for upcoming meetings.
- Meetings, classes and workshops
- Research in Special Collections, including the Pullman Car Works Personnel Records
- Speakers’ Bureau
- Pioneer Certificates – A gift to children, grandchildren, or others to honor your ancestors
- WWII Harvey Letters – Do you have roots in Harvey, Illinois?
- Digitizing of church records
- Preservation of records from churches, towns, organizations, and funeral homes
- SSGHS Facebook page
- Paid genealogical research
- Paid cemetery photo service
- Obituary and Cemetery Indexes
- Publishing local and family history for SSGHS Journal, Where the Trails Cross
- Reading, recording and publishing tombstone data from area cemeteries
- Collecting local church and town records
- Publications covering the Roseland and Pullman areas
- Publications covering south Cook and eastern Will counties, Illinois
- The SSGHS journal, Where The Trails Cross