The SSGHS Library is a reference/research library, open to the public. (See our Contact page for location and hours.) Materials are for use in the library only and may not be taken from the room. Use of the library is free. As an all-volunteer organization, we welcome and encourage donations.
The Library is maintained by volunteers who can offer suggestions, but cannot do personal research for individuals. However, we do offer paid research services.
Researchers and visitors are asked to comply with the following regulations:
- Sign in and out in the register book
- Leave briefcases, totes, and large purses outside the library. Only pencils (not pens), paper, notebooks permitted
- Staff members may request to inspect your materials as you leave.
- We encourage you to bring your own laptop or mobile device, and a flash drive for saving records. A limited number of laptops are available for use in the library.
- At this time, wearing of masks is optional.
- SSGHS is a FamilySearch Affiliate Library; you may have access to records at the library that you do not have when using FamilySearch from home.
- Thanks to the generosity of a member, SSGHS offers library users access to Ancestry Library Edition (in-library use only). Bring your laptop or mobile device. A limited number of laptops are available for use in the library.
- We have Wi-Fi capability at the Library; you may connect your laptop computer to the Internet from anywhere in the Library.
- We have a list of local restaurants where you may go for lunch or dinner.
- If you are an out-of-area SSGHS member who wishes to use the Library on a day or time with it is not scheduled to be open, contact the library (708-335-3340) and speak to the librarian. We can try to accommodate your needs.
- Check our Calendar of Events page for specific dates. As the library is staffed by volunteers, we suggest that you call ahead to ensure that the library is open.